New engineering challenges every week

Use your skills and earn money with your work

Solid Edge Tutorials for Beginners

Medium

We know there are many people out there who want to perfect their skills with Solid Edge. GrabCAD is the place to learn. Even more so after this challenge which tasks our engineers to develop quick tutorials for Solid Edge users.

We want you to share easy to follow and straight forward tutorials that will help people get started with Solid Edge. Imagine yourself trying to learn a new software. What could be the very first useful steps to follow?

You can post a tutorial in any related category, and feel free to post as many tutorials as you want. The only criteria is that each tutorial must finish with an actual recognizable object (like a flower, mobile phone, headphones, etc.)

Submissions can be in the screenshot format so popular in our Q&A section already, or they may take a novel approach by using video etc... Please read the rules and requirements sections for details.

So feel free to share your tips with the rest of us to make this an interesting and educative challenge.

You can download 45 day trial from here: http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free-solid-edge.shtml?stc=usiia420956

Requirements

• Each tutorial needs to be entered to Q&A section with clearly asked question: http://grabcad.com/questions/new

• Follow screen shots above to add a tutorial to your asked question

• Video tutorials are only allowed with the attached file to an answer to your question

• No video links to other pages are allowed

Rules

• Winning tutorial will be chosen by a number of Solid Edge users on GrabCAD

• The competition is open to everyone

• You may submit several tutorials

• Only tutorials entered in our Q&A will participate in the contest

• One engineer can earn no more than 1 prize

• Competition winners will be announced on the GrabCAD blog

Prizes

1st - 10th prize

Top 10 tutorials chosen by our jury will get $50 cash each.

About the jury?

The winning tutorials will be chosen by Siemens representative Mr. Mark Burhop and a number of Solid Edge engineers on GrabCAD.

About GrabCAD

GrabCAD is a community founded by mechanical engineers. It is a place for engineers to share their talent, expand knowledge, find a dream project and work with tools and features that make life better.

25 comments

• Sudhir Gill

Sudhir Gill over 2 years ago

Can I use student version? I have student version of the software.

Sudhir Gill has uploaded 361 CAD models & has left 1437 comments.
  • Ghioca Claudiu

Ghioca Claudiu over 2 years ago

i think you can .... good luck

Ghioca Claudiu has uploaded 73 CAD models & has left 181 comments.
  • Kaspar Kiis

Kaspar Kiis over 2 years ago

Yes you can

Kaspar Kiis has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 1175 comments.
  • Hevi

Hevi over 2 years ago

But there are some SE functions that may need good tutorial for beginners but these are not typical modeling functions - like FEM, assembly relations etc etc... can I post tutorial for these funtions? Or you need only modeling tutorials?

Hevi has uploaded 36 CAD models & has left 457 comments.
  • Kaspar Kiis

Kaspar Kiis over 2 years ago

You can post any tutorials as long as they are Solid Edge related.

Kaspar Kiis has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 1175 comments.
  • Hevi

Hevi over 2 years ago

Ok :)

Hevi has uploaded 36 CAD models & has left 457 comments.
  • matt.johnson

matt.johnson over 2 years ago

i posted an "entry" but it does not show on the entries page? Did I do something wrong? I can find my entry in the Q&A but not via the contest?

matt.johnson has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 3 comments.
  • Andreas Gkertsos

Andreas Gkertsos over 2 years ago

No need to show up in here Matt. Read the description "Only tutorials entered in our Q&A will participate in the contest"

Andreas Gkertsos has uploaded 103 CAD models & has left 580 comments.
  • matt.johnson

matt.johnson over 2 years ago

Ok, "no need to show up here" but what if I want mine to show up here? What did I do differently in creating mine that did not tag it or apply it dierectly to this challange... And as a user who wants to see the entries How can i know I am seeing all entries if even mine is not shown? I can browse Q&A but browsing all entries would give me a more relavent return of topics I'm interested in. (for this example at least)...

matt.johnson has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 3 comments.
  • David Nelson

David Nelson over 2 years ago

Hi Matt! Insert in tag field of your CAD-file this "solidedgetut". Write exctaly as I had exposed! Hope it helps! Best regards

David Nelson has uploaded 7 CAD models & has left 52 comments.
  • matt.johnson

matt.johnson over 2 years ago

David,, thx. I added the tag, we shall wait and see.. wasn;t a magic bullet but maybe it will work? I reckon seperate tages of Solid edge and Tutorial just dont cut it 'ey?

matt.johnson has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 3 comments.
  • David Nelson

David Nelson over 2 years ago

Matt you should put "solidedgetut" exactly as I'm writing. If you separate it in two words "Solid" "Edge" it will not work! If you still have any doubt check one of the entries and check "Tag" field. Hope it helps friend! Regards

David Nelson has uploaded 7 CAD models & has left 52 comments.
  • Sumit Balhara

Sumit Balhara over 2 years ago

Sumit Balhara has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 6 comments.
  • marek

marek over 2 years ago

Hi, I can't see my uploaded tutorial in challange list. Here is the link.

marek has uploaded 10 CAD models & has left 9 comments.
  • Kaspar Kiis

Kaspar Kiis over 2 years ago

Hi we are about to start picking the winners. Please note that tutorials don't have to be listed in the entries. It is enough when they are in Q&A.

Kaspar Kiis has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 1175 comments.
  • Hendy

Hendy over 2 years ago

Hi Kaspar, I just added "solidedgetut" now as the tag in my Q&A, please do not forget to check out my tutorial. thank you

Hendy has uploaded 19 CAD models & has left 110 comments.
  • Abre

Abre over 2 years ago

Me too.. :)

Abre has uploaded 2 CAD models & has left 3 comments.
  • Kaspar Kiis

Kaspar Kiis over 2 years ago

As long as tutorials are in Q&A tagged with Solid Edge, all is fine: http://grabcad.com/questions/tutorials/software/solid-edge

Kaspar Kiis has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 1175 comments.
  • EDISON PHOENIX

EDISON PHOENIX over 2 years ago

I can't find my tutorial in "http://grabcad.com/questions/how-to-make-a-hook-spring-in-solid-edge"; this link... I uploaded that tutorial for Solidedge tutorial challenge ... But in this stage i lost my tutorial from your site... How can i see that...

EDISON PHOENIX has uploaded 141 CAD models & has left 1001 comments.
  • EDISON PHOENIX

EDISON PHOENIX over 2 years ago

Hello Kaspar,
    i lost my tutorial before from your site...
    Once again i add my tutorial for this competition ....
    Please Consider this " http://grabcad.com/questions/how-to-make-a-hook-spring-in-solid-edge-tutorial";

EDISON PHOENIX has uploaded 141 CAD models & has left 1001 comments.
  • Andreas Gkertsos

Andreas Gkertsos over 2 years ago

we're waiting for the results

Andreas Gkertsos has uploaded 103 CAD models & has left 580 comments.
  • Cemal Uslu

Cemal Uslu over 2 years ago

still waiting.

Cemal Uslu has uploaded 45 CAD models & has left 398 comments.
  • Kaspar Kiis

Kaspar Kiis over 2 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners. We will contact you to arrange the payment. Read also our blog: http://blog.grabcad.com/2012/05/solid-edge-tutorial-winners

Kaspar Kiis has uploaded 3 CAD models & has left 1175 comments.
  • EDISON PHOENIX

EDISON PHOENIX over 2 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners.

EDISON PHOENIX has uploaded 141 CAD models & has left 1001 comments.
  • ALI

ALI over 2 years ago

Congratulations all!

ALI has uploaded 47 CAD models & has left 900 comments.
  • Please log in to add comments.

Save Cancel