Feed Request: Mens wedding ring design challenge! Requested by Scott Bruins 3 months ago

Ok so here is the deal, I am getting married in a year and I want to make my own wedding ring. I work at a machine shop and have helped design and make 2 other titanium wedding rings (Titanium Ring). I can't decide what I want my ring o look like so I have decided to hold a "mini competition" for design Ideas. If I really like your design Ill send you a titanium ring!

Design Rules: (I will be lenient with the rules if I see something I really like)
-The ring will be made of titanium (no other materials can be used)
-Can have any finish (brushed, polished, satin, matte, mix) but cannot be anodized. (titanium anodize scratches very easily)
-Single piece construction is preferred but not necessary
-I tend to like simple designs (not really a rule just a suggestion)
-SolidWorks or STEP format will be accepted.
-Please add a comment here with a link to your model and add the tags "ti" and "ring" to your model to make it easier to find.

Prize:
Winner gets finished titanium ring!

Deadline: TBD (Probably December 31)

You can download my Titanium Ring for reference as it is my ring size (ID).

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! Ready go!

(This is not an official contest and not sponsored by GrabCAD. I be making my own wedding ring and I thought this would be a fun way to gather design ideas. I am the judge so whatever ring I like best will be the winner. I also reserve the right not to pick one of the designs submitted, it is going to be my wedding ring after all ^_^)

Thanks to Josh for the SolidSmack feature: http://tinyurl.com/3zy4q9o

56 comments

• Robert Voogt

Robert Voogt about 3 years ago

Great competition, expect some designs from me!

Robert Voogt has uploaded 48 CAD models & has left 522 comments.
  • Robert Voogt

Robert Voogt about 3 years ago

ps, what's the deadline?

Robert Voogt has uploaded 48 CAD models & has left 522 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

Sometime before the end of the year??

I don't really have a dealine as of yet, it just has to be finished before June 29, 2012 ^_^

• Stan Wile

Stan Wile about 3 years ago

What does a ring cost if I don't win? You may get some work out of this contest.

Stan Wile has uploaded 98 CAD models & has left 151 comments.
  • Rick Girt

Rick Girt about 3 years ago

Excellent idea... I'm gonna give it a go...

Rick Girt has uploaded 8 CAD models & has left 8 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

@Stan Wile - I probably won't be selling them and I only plan on making 2-3 rings so there won't be any to sell. Sorry :(

• William

William about 3 years ago

Really good idea Scott, now you wont be stuck for choice.
    might as well through in a wee design or two @ some point.

William has uploaded 114 CAD models & has left 8002 comments.
  • Josh Mings

Josh Mings about 3 years ago

Man Scott, makes me wish GrabCAD was around back when I got married! This is a fun idea. Question. Do you like diamonds? or emeralds? ;-)

Josh Mings has uploaded 2 CAD models & has left 475 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

haha, thanks Josh. I'm not really into diamonds or emeralds, I am kind of a "material purist". Titanium only!

• Danny Tasmakis

Danny Tasmakis about 3 years ago

Cool project Scott and a tough one also, tough in that a wedding ring is a personal item which should have elements of the persons personality, interests in life, philosophies and what kind of styling they're into..........so tell us a bit about yourself :)

I'll give you an example using my ring, it's um....round, gold, very plain, oh! it did have chamfers, they've worn down into fillets now and has some battle scars, so you see, if this was used to describe me, I'm plain boring and worn out.......precious though ;)

Danny Tasmakis has uploaded 55 CAD models & has left 732 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

Thanks Danny! The whole reason I am doing this is I wasn't able to find any designs that I really liked so this is more of an idea gathering than anything else. I may end up taking elements of different designs and combining them into my final ring.

I also like simple styling, I like the more modern looking designs, I'm not afraid of doing something a little radical.

• Danny Tasmakis

Danny Tasmakis about 3 years ago

Man! I just Googled Images Titanium rings and you don't like any one of those hundreds of designs?
    Can't wait to see what the Grabbers come up with!

Danny Tasmakis has uploaded 55 CAD models & has left 732 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

Don't get me wrong, there are some that I could live with but nothing that really struck me as something I would look at everyday and be 100% happy with.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

I did find this, which I think is amazing but I would have a hard time convincing the wife of its awesomeness. ;)

I do like the "industrial" look of the ring though.

• Hari Reddi

Hari Reddi about 3 years ago

Scott that ring on Roguedzn is mental, real out the box thinking.

Hari Reddi has uploaded 11 CAD models & has left 32 comments.
  • Edward Nugent

Edward Nugent about 3 years ago

Congratulations Scott! Having just been married for over a year I have to say that is quite the novel idea. To help incorporate DFM principles, what kind of equipment to you have to use?

Edward Nugent has uploaded 14 CAD models & has left 21 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

At this point almost anything is possible. I have access to 5 axis CNC milling, Swiss turning, Wire EDM and possibly 3D printing (titanium). So really just let your imagination run wild!

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

This one is more my style
    Ti Ring Proto #5

Organic style ring
    Ti Ring Proto #7

• David Thomas

David Thomas about 3 years ago

Here's my first try for you, buddy!
    Ti Ring for Scott v1

David Thomas has uploaded 41 CAD models & has left 94 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

Not a wedding ring but just for fun :)
    Turret Ring

• Igor Lins e Silva

Igor Lins e Silva about 3 years ago

Scott, here's my ring. Hope you like it ;) Titanium Ring

Igor Lins e Silva has uploaded 58 CAD models & has left 108 comments.
  • Ray Keane

Ray Keane about 3 years ago

Maybe not your cup of tea, but a nice simple meaningful design.
    Ti Ring For Scott - Koru Design

Ray Keane has uploaded 14 CAD models & has left 44 comments.
  • Robert Harvey BSc (Hons)

Robert Harvey BSc (Hons) about 3 years ago

interesting concept for a competition! i like it! i might have to have a go at this soon!

Robert Harvey BSc (Hons) has uploaded 48 CAD models & has left 568 comments.
  • Danny Tasmakis

Danny Tasmakis about 3 years ago

Here you go Scott Engineer's wedding ring

Danny Tasmakis has uploaded 55 CAD models & has left 732 comments.
  • Kir Ari

Kir Ari about 3 years ago

Hey Scott, here is a probe:
    Ti ring for Scott#
    this is not what you wanted, but I might later post something better you might like :), just need to finilise the idea.

Kir Ari has uploaded 30 CAD models & has left 290 comments.
  • Kir Ari

Kir Ari about 3 years ago

Well, this is another one which is a bit closer, but I must admit the jewellery is not my cup of tea:
    Ti ring for Scott 2

Kir Ari has uploaded 30 CAD models & has left 290 comments.
  • jeff bare

jeff bare about 3 years ago

Here's my matching <a href="http://jbaredesign.squarespace.com/honey-ring/">Honey Ring</a> i designed.
    machining would be difficult, designed for 3D printing, but i.materialize can print in titanium, so there ya go. You could machine something into it after that to get your fix if need be. ;)

jeff bare has uploaded 7 CAD models & has left 42 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

Very cool design Jeff (and welcome to GrabCAD).

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

"Look at you, soaring through the air like an eagle... piloting a blimp."-GLaDOS
    Portal GLaDOS Ring

• Josh Mings

Josh Mings about 3 years ago

Yes! Jeff Bare is here! Welcome indeed Jeff. Good idea on the titanium print.

Josh Mings has uploaded 2 CAD models & has left 475 comments.
  • Hari Reddi

Hari Reddi about 3 years ago

Scott, I went mental looking for my ring a few years back, there is just so many choices.

Here are some off my ones.

Titanium ring with BLING
    Titanium ring with insert
    Titanium ring 2
    Titanium ring

Hari Reddi has uploaded 11 CAD models & has left 32 comments.

Thanks Hari!

• Hardi Meybaum

Hardi Meybaum about 3 years ago

Scott, look what I found - http://www.custommade.com/etched-sterling-silver-bike-cuff-bracelet/by/brittajewelry

I bet Indrek and other bike guys like it.

Hardi Meybaum has uploaded 6 CAD models & has left 1796 comments.
  • Rick Girt

Rick Girt about 3 years ago

Not sure if the link will work, but here's my first attempt...
    Mens Wedding Ring Challenge

Rick Girt has uploaded 8 CAD models & has left 8 comments.
  • Ray Reynolds

Ray Reynolds about 3 years ago

Scott, here's my entry for your wedding band. Good luck with the selections!

Ti Wedding Band Contest Entry

Ray Reynolds has uploaded 2 CAD models & has left 4 comments.
  • Steve Notch

Steve Notch about 3 years ago

Obviously, you're not a golfer. - The Dude

Steve Notch has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 5 comments.
  • Steve Notch

Steve Notch about 3 years ago

Know what would be pretty sweet?

A pair of matching cufflinks :)

Steve Notch has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 5 comments.
  • Steve Notch

Steve Notch about 3 years ago

Steve Notch has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 5 comments.
  • Davies

Davies about 3 years ago

Wedding Ring Design 1

I have actually just made this ring i designed it myself for my own wedding and it works perfectly..

Davies has uploaded 15 CAD models & has left 17 comments.

Scott Bruins about 3 years ago

I'm back from vacation and boy do I have a lot of catching up to do! Lots of great designs have appeared while I was gone. I have updated the requirements to make it easier for me to find your models. All you have to do is tag you model with "ti" and "ring", and add a comment here with a link to your model. Also I have added a link to SolidSmack.com featuring the challenge (thanks Josh!).

• Jason Knox

Jason Knox about 3 years ago

Jason Knox has uploaded 56 CAD models & has left 45 comments.
  • steven richardson

steven richardson about 3 years ago

steven richardson has uploaded 16 CAD models & has left 17 comments.
  • steven richardson

steven richardson about 3 years ago

steven richardson has uploaded 16 CAD models & has left 17 comments.
  • Steve Notch

Steve Notch about 3 years ago

Steve Notch has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 5 comments.
  • Edward Nugent

Edward Nugent about 3 years ago

The first of my two cents:

Titanium Wedding Ring Design # 001

Edward Nugent has uploaded 14 CAD models & has left 21 comments.
  • Pranav Panchal

Pranav Panchal about 3 years ago

My designs................. nothing special................but its a start.........better designs will surely come in near future............... (I hope)..........;-)
    Ti Ring #01
    Ti Ring #02

Pranav Panchal has uploaded 67 CAD models & has left 536 comments.
  • Ryan

Ryan almost 3 years ago

My design.
    Hope u like it.
    Titanium ring

Ryan has uploaded 4 CAD models & has left 2 comments.
  • William Pendleton

William Pendleton almost 3 years ago

Bio-coupler
    Hope you like it Scott.

William Pendleton has uploaded 7 CAD models & has left 31 comments.
  • Pranav Panchal

Pranav Panchal almost 3 years ago

My other attempts at this challenge.................
    Ti Ring #03
    Mecanum Ring

Pranav Panchal has uploaded 67 CAD models & has left 536 comments.
  • aelwin

aelwin almost 3 years ago

Hi Scott!
    I've allready seen so many designs...are you still interested? I just got maried last year and me and my wife designed and made our own wedding rings out of titanium as well!! We have a couple of designs left...still interested?
    Good luck with all other preparations in the meantime!
    Greetings from the Netherlands!
    aelwin

aelwin has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 2 comments.
  • aja

aja over 2 years ago

Hi Scott, can u upload a model in step file?

aja has uploaded 27 CAD models & has left 48 comments.
  • Daniel Herzberg

Daniel Herzberg over 2 years ago

Here's another result for my boredom at work...
    Mesh Ti Ring

Daniel Herzberg has uploaded 74 CAD models & has left 100 comments.
  • Sophie Lees

Sophie Lees about 1 year ago

Nice design. I have purchased several items like my wedding rings, bracelets and rings from Warren James Jewellers, all have been of good quality and excellent value for money - the goods ordered have arrived on time and I am always pleased with my purchase.

Sophie Lees has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 1 comments.
  • Emily Johns

Emily Johns 3 months ago

Wow. Nice one. I want to participate for this.

Emily Johns has uploaded 0 CAD models & has left 1 comments.
  • Please log in to add comments.

Save Cancel