GrabCAD is looking to see who has what it takes to create an amazing full color 3D printable spaceship model. Since we have had a lot of NASA challenges in the past, we want to go back into space with a full-color Spaceship model design challenge. You will be given free reign to come up with an original design of a spaceship. We want to see what colors you can put on your model, as well as textures. The top spaceship designs will be 3D printed with our own Stratasys J750 PolyJet 3D printer and sent to the winners. So start your thrusters and get designing!
The goal of the challenge is to see if you can design a cool spaceship that will be 3D printed in full color via our Stratasys J750 Printer. The only limits to this challenge are your imagination and the build volume of the printer. You should design your spaceship with multi-color, multi-polyjet material, and multi-texture in mind.
For any help on how to add colors or textures to your model via GrabCAD Print and on how to select a Stratasys J750 to check out these GrabCAD tutorials.(Include a link to the Selecting a J750 in GCP and selecting color/material in GCP tutorials).
1. Design of the model
2. The uniqueness of the spaceship design
3. Level of color complexity incorporated in the design
4. Use of textures on the model
5. Estimate of print time/material usage
1. Submission file format: .PRINT, VRML or OBJ (preferred for Color and Printing)
2. Size to be printed on tray: 8in x 3in x 3in
3. Design for 3D printing on a Stratasys J750
4. Estimate in GrabCAD Print
SUBMISSION FILE FORMATS:
VRML and OBJ (preferred for Color and Printing)
Rendering(s) of your Spaceship model
USEFUL GUIDES AND TUTORIALS:
Printing Full Color FEA Results on 3D Printers
How to 3D Print Textured Objects Inside Clear Plastic Bottles
How to Create Incredibly Complex Textured Shapes for 3D Printing and Bump Mapping
How to Color Proof Your 3D Prints Using This Super Secret Stratasys Website
How to 3D Print in Color
ENTERING THE COMPETITION
The Challenge is open to everyone except employees and families of GrabCAD and the Sponsor. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome.
By entering the Challenge you:
1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions.
2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury).
3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate.
4. Warrant that the submission is your original work.
5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs.
9. Agree the Sponsor and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible. We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries. Entries are automatically given the tag "grabcad-spaceship-design" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person. Prizes may not be transferred or exchanged.
All winners will be contacted by the GrabCAD staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. Payment of cash awards is made through PayPal. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge.
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
This Challenge ends on May 27th, 2019 (23:59 EST.) Finalists will be announced June 3rd, 2019. Winners will be announced June 10th, 2019.
3D Print of Your Model... and More!
3D Print of your model + GrabCAD Swag + Challenge Winner Badge
GrabCAD is a home for all things CAD, from design to print. With nearly six-million members, it is the largest and most popular 3D model sharing community online. GC is also a resource for design tutorials and ample other opportunities to learn a new skill.