Pumps and valves are vital components in any hydronic system and their performance can make a huge difference on the overall system performance. An essential part of valves performance is their ability to always position the valve seat correctly. Several contradictive parameters are involved in such positioning systems by which an optimal solution is achieved through best compromise. The Grundfos Challenge is therefore to provide solutions for design and integration of a gear unit for a hydronic control valve.
The Challenge is design and development of a gear unit for a hydronic valve that is thoroughly integrated into an enclosure box. Thus, we seek the best solution to the challenge: How can a gear drive train system, that meets certain gear box requirements, be designed, while ensuring a thorough integration of the system into the enclosure box to accommodate the structural integrity of the product? (See figures and attached CAD drawings). The solution is bounded by the technical requirements to the enclosure box, design-space envelope and gearbox (shaft output torque etc.) specified below
Technical Requirements (See details in Case Documentation)
• RPM: 1 RPM +/- 5%
• Torque: 20Nm +/- 1Nm (at 1 RPM)
• Radial rotating force: Maximum 300N at tip
• Movement: Bi-directional (open/close of valve) – 360 degrees in both directions (no fixed stop)
• Hysteresis: < 3 degrees
• Material: Steel – E=200GPa, ν=0.3, ρ=7800kg/m3
• Shaft Connection: Oldham
1. Are the technical requirements met?
• Within the design-space envelope?
• Is assembly in Z-direction possible?
2. Is the solution considered reliable and robust?
3. Is the gear principle novel and maintenance-free?
4. Designs with the following features are favored:
• Non-lubricated gear systems
• The compactness of solution (considering potential thermal risks for gear unit and PCBs in enclosure box)
• Low weight
• Low cost
• Low hysteresis on the output shaft
5. Alternative and creative features to improve the product and/or its application further e.g. out-of-spec. application, added value, improved robustness, manufacturing, high lifetime, maintenance-free, etc.
• Submit CAD files in STEP format
• Screenshots in various views (preferably rendered)
• Screenshots of simulation results (if applicable) and a small description of the setup (so that it can be replicated by the jury)
• Documentation incl.
- Gear ratio
- Bill of material incl. material composition
- Design considerations e.g. on manufacturing, assembly, reliability etc.
- Description of alternative/creative features
*DOWNLOAD IMPORTANT FILES BELOW*
Be sure to use the Specification Download button below to Download the Case Documentation, Pictures and CAD Files for this Challenge (The CAD Files are Required for this Challenge!)
ENTERING THE COMPETITION:
GRUNDFOS CHALLENGE SPECIFIC ENTRY AGREEMENT:
By submitting an Entry in the Grundfos Challenge, each Top 3 Finalists grants to Grundfos (Sponsor) and its designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, transferable, fully paid up, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works from, publically perform, publically display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for Sale and import the Entry and to develop or have developed the technology described in the Entry, in any media now known or hereafter developed for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without further approval by Entrant (“Non-Exclusive License”).
If Entrant’s Entry is awarded a prize in the Grundfos Challenge, Entrant agrees to and does hereby grant to Sponsor and its designees a worldwide, exclusive, sub-licensable, transferable, fully paid up, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works from, publically perform, publically display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for Sale and import the Entry and to develop or have developed the technology described in the Entry, in any media now known or hereafter developed for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without further approval by Entrant (“Exclusive License”).
By submitting an Entry, Entrant represents that is has the right to grant these rights and the Exclusive License.
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
AWARDING THE WINNERS
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
$10000 in Prizes
All prizes will be awarded through Paypal. Please make sure that you have a Paypal account ready beforehand when we start awarding prizes to get your winnings quicker. We will NOT use any other payment method to award your winnings.
Grundfos is a global leader within advanced pump solutions employing more than 19,000 employees in 56 countries worldwide. Our purpose is to pioneer solutions to the world’s water and climate challenges and improve quality of life for people.
We dare to do things that others do not in order to overcome the complex challenge of moving water in the most intelligent and energy efficient way. We believe that innovation is not only a business opportunity, but an obligation. And what really matters to us is not short-term profit, but the impact we make. We have the determination and power to set the standard for the industry and society as a whole. We are not only pioneers. We are also game changers.
For more information, visit our company website at www.grundfos.com.