This Challenge gives you the opportunity to show your skills in the design of a lightweight, robust and eye-catching truck underrun protection system.
You must include:
- STEP/IGES model of your design
- The mass of your design (density of the material is given below), which will make it easier for the jury to evaluate the designs
- One screenshot of the deformation field and the von Mises stress field of your design under P1 load case (see below) to prove the validity of your design.
You are encouraged to include:
- Native CAD file format
- Screenshots of all load cases
Design an underrun protection device that meets the design and performance criteria while being:
-Symmetric (requirement added on Jan 31)
Use the SimScale platform to validate that your design meets the structural requirements. The necessary analysis can be done for free after signup on the SimScale platform.
- Height of the shield front: 100 mm
- Width of the shield front: 2500 mm
- Relative position of the fixation holes: See drawing
- Minimum material feature size (wall thickness): 10mm
- The shield front (2500mm x 100mm) including the three load areas as well as the eight fixation holes and their diameter are not allowed to be changed. Everything else is up to the designer.
- Allowed maximum deformation: 40mm
- Allowed maximum von Mises stress: 355 MPa
- There are three different load cases (P1, P2, P3) which have to be tested
- The load is applied as a pressure on a specified area, one load at a time
- Area size is 200mm x 100mm
- Positions P1, P2, P3 of the areas are documented in the technical drawing
- Applied pressures are:
............ P1 = 12.5 bar = 12.5 × 105 Pa
............ P2 = 25.0 bar = 25.0 × 105 Pa
............ P3 = 12.5 bar = 12.5 × 105 Pa
- Material: SimScale Standard Steel (Young's modulus: 205 GPa, Poisson's ratio: 0.28, Density: 7870 kg/m3)
- Use the Automatic tetrahedralization mesh operation (simple and fast)
- Use the Static stress analysis type in the Solid mechanics section
- For more questions and hints, please have a look at the provided video tutorial
- To be able to apply the loads with SimScale, you have to split the shield front such that the load areas appear as separate faces (have a look at the example STEP file)
- Design the whole model as one part, not an assembly (for a straightforward analysis setup)
The competition is open to everyone. Multiple entries are acceptable. Team entries are welcome - prize will be transferred to team leader. Participants may only win one prize per Challenge.
Tag your entry with “UNDERRUN” when uploading to GrabCAD. If you submit through the "Submit entry" button, this should be added automatically. Only entries with valid tag will participate. Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Private entries are not eligible.
By entering this competition, you
1. Warrant that the work is your original work.
2. To the best of your knowledge, it is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
3. Neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trade mark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email email@example.com.
Applicants are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs. The applicant’s participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person.
Only public entries will be considered. Any private submissions will be made public at the Challenge deadline.
We will release the finalists before the final announcement to give the Community an opportunity to "vote" for their favorites in the comments. The jury will take these into consideration when picking the final winner. This new addition is based on feedback from you!
Winning designs will be chosen based on the rules and requirements. This Challenge ends on February 19, 2014 (11:59pm UTC). Winners will be announced by March 19, 2014.
SimScale retains the right to promote and publicize entrants and their design work.
Void where prohibited.
Google Nexus 7 for the winner and cash awards for TOP 4 places
$500 cash + Google Nexus 7 32GB + GrabCAD scrapbook
$350 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
$250 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
$150 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
The jury will be comprised of SimScale and GrabCAD experts.
SimScale is a simulation platform that allows engineers and scientists to analyze the physical behavior of their products with a standard web browser. SimScale gives them access to powerful simulation technology and practically unlimited computing power – on demand, collaborative and based on a flexible pricing model. SimScale helps engineers to create better products in shorter time.