Design a FRESH and ORIGINAL soap pump for UMBRA
There are many soap pumps on the market – what will you do to make your Soap Pump stand out and drive sales? This challenge focuses on creativity, originality and design.
Here are few tips:
1. Consider the end user – should be easy to fill, should be able to operate with only one hand.
2. Think about your own experiences – are there any issues that annoy you or is there something that could make your experience using a soap pump more enjoyable?
3. Consider the reseller – are there any gaps in the market (could be price, material, features) that would be make it easier to for the reseller to sell?
4. Consider the environment the soap pump will live in – what are some of the items it will sit next to? How will it fit in? Can it be more space efficient?
5. Think about how it will be made – can you reduce the number of parts? Can you make it easier to assemble? What manufacturing techniques will you use? Is there a new method that will reduce costs? Umbra has expertise with the following manufacturing techniques: injection molding, metal forming, metal casting, compression molding (silicone or melamine), plastic blow molding, glass blowing, wood laminating/machining.
6. Consider where the trends will be one or two years from now – if you’re designing a derivative from our current collection, it’s too late.
7. What will make your design compelling/special?
8. Consider “cradle to grave” – what is the entire environmental impact of this item?
9. Umbra is sold into more than 120 countries worldwide – the design should have a global appeal.
Your entry must include:
• SolidWorks preferred. IGES, STEP, STL acceptable
• Rendering of your design preferred
• Calculations for soap capacity
Must hold a minimum of 12 fluid ounces
Not a must, but using a standard soap pump ‘engine’ makes it a lot easier to reach target costs (CAD file included)
Judging criteria will be based on achievement of accomplishing criteria listed above, including:
1. Deliver Umbra’s 5 Brand Promises: Modern, Original, Casual, Functional, Affordable
2. Be manufacturable at a reasonable cost
3. Demonstrate Innovation
4. Presentation (should include renderings and a video if it helps to describe your design)
Umbra sells soap pumps from $10-40 that stand out in the market place by delivering more than our competitors. The winning design will be a mix of innovation with an aesthetic that strikes an emotional chord, all delivered for a price that will attract end consumers.
ENTERING THE COMPETITION The Challenge is open to everyone except employees and families of GrabCAD and the Sponsor. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome. By entering the Challenge you: 1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions. 2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury). 3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate. 4. Warrant that the submission is your original work. 5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited. 6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person. 7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment. 8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs. 9. Agree the Sponsor and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries. If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email email@example.com
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible.
We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries.
Entries are automatically given the tag "pumpit" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person. All judging decisions are final. All winners will be contacted by the GrabCAD staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. Payment of cash awards is made through PayPal. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge. We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners. Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements. - Entry deadline is December 13, 2015 (11:59pm UTC). - The finalists will be announced by January 8th, 2016. - The winners will be announced by January 18th, 2016. Void where prohibited.
SPEC REFINEMENT We want to make sure that you have all of the information that you need to tackle the challenge. As such, in the first week of a challenge we may refine the specifications or offer clarifications based on member feedback. Please ask any questions that you have!
Prizes for top 5 places
$1000 cash + $1000 Umbra gift certificate
$500 cash + $500 Umbra gift certificate
$250 cash + $250 Umbra gift certificate
$150 cash + $150 Umbra gift certificate
$100 cash + $100 Umbra gift certificate
The jury consists of experts from Umbra and GrabCAD.
Umbra was born over 30 years ago when a graphic designer by the name of Paul Rowan couldn’t find a window shade to hang in his new apartment window. So, he made one. And others liked it! He soon teamed up with friend Les Mandelbaum...and Umbra was born. It was from this first product that Umbra got its name - ‘umbra’ means ‘shade’ in Latin. Since that time, Umbra has grown to become the world leader of modern, original, casual and affordable design for the home, introducing designs that have broken the mold and creating entirely new categories in the home decor and gifting market.
Umbra’s products are available at over 30,000 retailers in more than 120 countries.