how to model internal combustion engines.
I see people uploading these insanely intricate engine models (which is what i'm striving for in my future) and was curious where to even start and how to get the dimensions for the parametric modeling
Some engines models have been produced by measuring the parts of existing engines.
Some engines models have been produced from 2D plans that are published on the internet or in books.
Some engines have been designed. Here are a few pointers.
1. The Bore needs to be about the same as the stroke. For a high powered engine, use a slightly wider bore and shorter stroke, for a more efficient engine use a narrower bore and longer stroke.
2. The valves on a four stroke engine need to be large. Ideally, the inlet should be a little larger than the exhaust but this is not essential.
3. Small engines tend to have one cylinder but if the capacity of the cylinder is much large than 250cc then the engine will be less powerful and less efficient than a multi cylinder design.
4. Bearings, including plain bearings, need to be large so as to spread the load and reduce the stress.
5. Ideally, the centre of gravity of the engine should remain in the same place when the crankshaft is rotated. The less it moves, the less the vibration will be.
6. All moving parts require lubrication.
7. The parts shouldn’t hit each other when the engine is in motion.
8. It should be physically possible to make and assemble the parts.
Engines may seem complicated but once you start modelling one, you’ll find this complexity is little more than a collection of simple features. If you know how an engine works and how things are made, you shouldn’t find it too difficult to model and engine.
First things first, start drawing an engine just for the fun of it, pick up a simple one, single cylinder 2 strokes engine, and start from the crankshaft, than piston assembly than go cylinder and ultimate the block and oil bath. when done that start filling in with bearings, tighteners, sealing and stuff until is done.
Second project will go faster, and third one more complex.
BTW, you cannot design an engine if you do not have it already in your head piece by piece and function by function, thus start reading on engines and how they are made inside.
what are the basic and fundamental in designing a combustion engine and standard measurements of those elemnts thank you