What can GrabCAD improve in Q&A?
I have a few suggestions.
1. The ability to edit answers/comments would be nice.
2. The ability to add embedded videos would also be nice.
3. More than 2 attachments per answer.
4. The ability to comment without on a question when there is not yet an answer submitted.
5. This might be hard but it would also be nice to be able to insert photos into the answer in specific places (like a forum/blog post). This would help make answers more like a step by step tutorial and would be easier to follow.
The tag method that is currently used works, but i don't believe its effective. The user will loose interest if they are searching through questions.
Like Scott says i think it should be:
Software - subject - QA
eg. SOLIDWORKS --- RENDERING --- Users questions (with search function)
Everyone thanks a lot for the feedback. We did punch of fixes that you recommended:
- asking questions and searching is more clear => we don't want to have duplicate questions like you see in forums. So we encourage search a question first and then ask if you don't want. When we do that we try to keep content cleaner and relevant
- Voting highlighted => we don't want to ask you to spend time going through all the pages and answers and comments. If you think some answer is helpful click "it worked" - give some credit to the one who answered and the next engineer so he doesn't need to scroll down to find the right answer
- Browsing - if you are a SolidWorks user you an now browse to SolidWorks category and see all the questions relevant to SolidWorks.
Let us know what do you think about it and what can we improve.
First I want to say thanks everyone for this really nice web site. What a great idea to link between manufacturing and engineers. What a great opportunity for those trying to break into the field. Opportunity for everyone involved with Cad engineering.
First thing I noticed though is there's no forum, usually a site like this would have one. A central place for communication. Right now it's in different places and sometimes problematic to access. I comment on a Q&A and then I can't find it again. You can get forum freeware and get users to mod it just for the interest alone.
The only other issue I see is the files in the contests are loaded with the new ones on the last page, should be the new ones on the first page. And private files that get added later are placed by their download date, not at the end. So whoever is judging will have to look back over all of them to try to find the private files that were put in later.
anyway, kudos for a really great site
Thanks to everyone for feedback, many of the suggested changes are now live:
- you can now comment the question (even if it does not have any answers)
- you can add more than 2 attachments
- we display the attachment file names as well, helps the reader to see what the file is possibly about (model or image or something else)
- can edit your own answer (currently not comments as they are more of a chronological conversation flow)
Embedded movies will be in the pipeline.
And structuring the answer with images/cad files is in the works already for a 'tutorial' answer type. This is something we definitely want to roll out soon.
Also, when anyone answers or comments your answer (or question where you've had a say), you should receive an e-mail notification about that from now on.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm only able to upload one JPEG photo on a request. Since most stuff is in 2D, and we all want it in a 3D model. It would be nice to upload all views in a RAR or ZIP file on a request. Being able to upload a PDF, DXF, DWG, etc. of a 2D plan would be real nice to.
The system sends me e-mail about every answers on Q&A that i am in. It is ok if i asked the question. But if i'm a responder of a question, comments on my answer will interests me more.
There should be an option to choose what to be informed about. If there is somehing like that, i'm sorry didnt notice that.
How 'bout a resources section. Could include links to free software since there's getting to be quite a lot of free and usable stuff out there now. Also links to educational sites/videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/ECognition#p/u
For starters, PTC's Creo Sketch is a free drawing/design program. Also PTC's Creo Elements Direct is a free 3D modeler.
i think i am bit late on this train but fonts/font sizes.......there is lots empty real estate,it would be nice if fonts were little bigger and darker. verdana or something
have to squint my eyes to 16x16 resolution.
on cad you can scale things with mouse wheel.no help here :(
What bothers me is that a lot of users write model names in other language than English and than there are no tags or they are to in other language.
English is not me native language, but I will never come to idea write name or tags in me language on international website.This models are invisible for all what search something.
There are a lot of not working models, some users upload that same lot of time but only one link work, so in search result are sometimes 5 models but only one work.
There will be great to have possibility to mark not working files and let somebody from grabcad team to decided if delete or not.
There are some users what have no activity from the day they registered, there are some accounts made only for fun and dont use, like one what have name made of 2 vulgarism and no activity.
I think it will be nice to clean a little here !!!