serVando diaz

what is the category: "FIXINGS" about?

Question by serVando diaz

I have wondered and added miscellaneous subjects on to it. kind of like a smear approach to a mysterious subject.
does it mean "fixtures"? perhaps tool jigs? house-fixtures? or things that need repair?

Comments 0

2 Answers

JP Johnston
Answered on 25 Feb, 2013 05:19 PM

LOL, you know, about 2 weeks ago, I thought the same thing. I assumed someone without any engineering background meant "Fixtures"...

Comments 0
Answered on 16 Feb, 2013 12:07 AM

Hi there, well the term "Fixings" is quite ambiguous, The definition of "Fixings" is - Restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place, but a "Fixture" is a work-holding or support device, when a "Fixture" is used, the tool`s movement is relative to the workpiece, but its different to a "Jig" , A jig is a type of custom-made tool used to control the location and/or motion of another tool. A jig's primary purpose is to provide repeatability, accuracy, and interchangeability in the manufacturing of products. A jig is often confused with a fixture; a fixture holds the work in a fixed location. A device that does both functions (holding the work and guiding a tool) is called a jig. A "Tool" on the other hand is anything used as a means of performing an operation or achieving an end.

Answered with a tutorial:

Comments 0