Open to students worldwide, Extreme Redesign is an annual 3D printing challenge created
by Stratasys, Inc. that invites students to design an original piece of art, jewelry or
architecture, or to make an existing design better. This year, extreme redesign features 3
• Engineering: Secondary Education (middle/high school students)
• Engineering: Post-Secondary (university, college, or post-secondary students)
• Art, Jewelry & Architecture (student of any grade level)
Don't have access to a 3D printer? No problem! To enter, individual students or teams must
create and submit their designs files in .STL format with a compelling description
highlighting the designs inspiration, meaning and impact. The more info the better – images,
renderings, videos and screen shots of the design are encouraged!
Entries will be accepted through (April, 24, 2020), but the earlier you submit, the more
opportunity you have to get feedback on your design and have a chance to improve it and re-
upload improved files before the submission window closes.
The Art, Jewelry and Architecture Category
In this category, you are encouraged to use your imagination and express your creativity in
submitting an artistic, unique and original design that takes full advantage of capabilities offered by 3D printing. Consider different 3D printing methodologies (like FDM or PolyJet)
and materials available, and pick the best method for the production of your design. We are
looking for designs that are aesthetically pleasing and evoke emotion. In this category, the
description is especially important - and we encourage you to be creative with the
description as well! Let us know what inspired your design, what is the meaning of your
design and what impact you'd like it to have.
Check out images of some of the past winners of Extreme Redesign Art, Jewelry or
Architecture below, or visit Extreme Redesign Challenge winners page here. You can also
see some of the past challenge submissions uploaded on the Stratasys Education Extreme
Redesign GrabCAD account here.
1. Inclusion of the required resources: final .stl file/s, and description of at least 200 words or more (Images, video also accepted but not required) .
2. Adherence to size specs of no greater than 120.65 x 120.65 x 120.65 mm (4.75 x 4.75 x 4.75 inches)
3. Compelling description illustrating design creativity. Does your design have meaning and impact?
4. Overall impression of the art. What is the effect of the artwork in general and as a whole? Is the design aesthetically pleasing and evokes emotion?.
5. Advanced Manufacturing: Exploration of the impact of 3D printing on your design, shape, structure or material
Your entry must include: • STEP/IGES • STL file format • Rendering of your design • 3D printed method & material selected • Proof that your design can be 3d printed (screen capture from a 3d printing service, or photo of the printed design) • Compelling description • Name of your school and/or advising instructor (include in entry description)
Technical requirements: Your design must be 3d printable via one of the widely available 3d printing methods: FDM, SLS, SLA or PolyJet. Please upload and check your file via one of the 3d printing services, to make sure that it can be printed. If you are printing the design yourself, make sure to upload a photo of the final design.
SUBMISSION FILE FORMATS
STEP of design space(s)
Final design STL
Mass reduction (from design space)
Load case diagram
ENTERING THE COMPETITION
The Challenge is open to students (enrolled in person or talking coursework online) of all ages, except employees and families of GrabCAD and Stratasys. Entrants under the age of 18 must have their entries submitted by a parent or guardian over the age of 18. You may enter this challenge individually, or as a design team. All team members must be enrolled as a student in an educational institution or online program during the semester/term in which they contribute to the design. The Challenge is not open to any persons employed, past or present, as a professional in 3D printing. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome.
By entering the Challenge you:
1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions.
2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury).
3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate.
4. Warrant that the submission is your original work.
5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs.
9. Agree Stratasys and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible. We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries. Entries are automatically given the tag "extremeredesignart2020" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person. All judging decisions are final. All winners will be contacted by the Stratasys staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge. We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners. Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
We want to make sure that you have all of the information that you need to tackle the challenge. As such, in the first few weeks of this challenge we may refine the specifications or offer clarifications based on member feedback. Please ask any questions that you have!
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
This Challenge ends on April 24th, 2020 (23:59 EST.) Finalists will be announced on May 22th, 2020 Winners will be announced on June 5th, 2020.
$3500 in Prizes and More
Receive a $2500 scholarship. Plus, their instructor will get a demo 3D printer for a limited-time classroom use.
2nd place winners: Receive a $1000 scholarship.
Stratasys is a global leader in additive manufacturing or 3D printing technology,
and is the manufacturer of FDM ® and PolyJet™ 3D Printers. The company’s
technologies are used to create prototypes, manufacturing tools, and production
parts for industries, including aerospace, automotive, healthcare, consumer
products and education. For 30 years, Stratasys products have helped
manufacturers reduce product-development time, cost, and time-to-market, as
well as reduce or eliminate tooling costs and improve product quality. The
Stratasys 3D printing ecosystem of solutions and expertise includes: 3D printers,
materials, software, expert services, and on-demand parts production. Online