Your challenge is to design a solution to help eradicate Mosquitoes.
According to the World Health Organization, close to one in seven people in India are at risk of contracting Malaria. India aims to be Malaria free by 2027.
Whereas, mosquitoes are the primary carriers of this disease, anything that can be done to reduce the mosquito population would help to slow the spread of malaria.
For example, mosquitos breed in standing water, so one approach to your design could be to creatively rid mosquitoes from standing water.
The goal of the challenge is to create an original and unique way to combat the malaria problem in places like India. Your design should be able to positively impact the general population by eradicating mosquitoes, the primary carrier of malaria.
With the many new 3D printing manufacturing techniques, there are no restrictions on part manufacturability. This opens up a new world for organic and complex part shapes that could not be machined or molded from plastic with traditional manufacturing methods. Additionally, designs that had to be created as multiple parts for traditional manufacturing purposes can now be single parts that can be 3D printed.
With new generative design technology there is an easy way to optimize and transform traditional designs or otherwise prismatic parts into beautiful, unique and functional components. Optimization is also a way to reduce the strain on the environment by using less material and producing less waste.
Your final design should contain at least one (1) component that can ONLY be manufactured using 3D printing.
Extra credits will be given to designs that are also optimized to save material without compromising integrity.
The winning designs will be printed, courtesy of Stratasys, at Efest Asia Pacific, March 16-18th, during the awards ceremony on March 18, 2018 at Delhi Technological University. Register today to attend
1st place winner: $250 + 1 Year Subscription to Solid Edge + 1 Free ticket to E-Fest Asia Pacific + The winning 3D printed model.
2nd place winner: $150
3rd place winner: $75
1. Is this design unique and creative? (test with internet searches)
2. Is there at least one component of the design engineered for Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing)? The design should ONLY be able to be manufactured by a 3D printer.
3. Is at least one component optimized for less material without compromising strength and functionality? Entry should include four () images as described.
(Extra credit given for using Generative Design in Solid Edge)
4. Description of material reduction: EX. Percentage of material saved
5. Report of how the design will help to solve the problem
Submission File Formats:
Native Solid Edge Part File for additional points
STEP file of the CAD model
BMP, JPG or PNG images of the optimized design from Top, Front and Side as well as a 3D pictorial view *
Mass reduction report
Description of the solution
*The winning design file will be converted for printing.
1. Native Solid Edge files earn bonus points
To Download a free version of Solid Edge for this challenge, visit:
2. CAD must be capable of exporting a Step (STP) file if not using Solid Edge
3. Photo realistic renderings (KeyShot comes with every Solid Edge download)
4. Size of 3D printer bed – 10” x 10” x 10” (design may be scaled for 3D printing)
*BONUS POINTS for using Generative Design topology optimization to reduce weight, as well as make it an organic aesthetically pleasing shape.
ENTERING THE COMPETITION
The Challenge is open to everyone except employees and families of GrabCAD and the Sponsor. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome.
By entering the Challenge you:
1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions.
2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury).
3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate.
4. Warrant that the submission is your original work.
5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs.
9. Agree the Sponsor and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible. We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries. Entries are automatically given the tag "mosquitotrap" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person. Prizes may not be transferred or exchanged. All winners will be contacted by the GrabCAD staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. Payment of cash awards is made through PayPal. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge.
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
This Challenge ends on February 23rd, 2018 (23:59 EST.) Finalists will be announced March 2nd, 2018 Winners will be announced March 9th, 2018.
GrabCAD, Stratasys, and Siemens Solid Edge Software.
ASME’s E-Fest “Take a Bite Out of Malaria” Additive Manufacturing Challenge:
As part of ASME’s E-Fest events, you are invited to go beyond the classroom or laboratory and put your engineering design principles to the test by applying them in ASME hosted student competitions.
E-Fests, or engineering festivals, are WAY more than just a series of events. It’s a movement driven by engineering students that has gained force globally. These year-round programs empower engineering students like YOU to ignite innovation, build your resume, expand your knowledge, participate in stimulating competitions, jumpstart your career and most importantly, celebrate engineering
ASME’s E-Fest “Take a Bite Out of Malaria” Additive Manufacturing challenge is also sponsored by GrabCAD, Stratasys, and Siemens Solid Edge Software.