How to convert a solid to sheet metal in SolidWorks
How to convert a solid to sheet metal.
See #’s relating to each instruction.
The ScreenCapture.ismv is a video.
Remeber to click "It Worked" if you like it, if you didnt let me know how to improve it. thanks
Here we have a solid body that I would like to convert into a sheet metal box then get the flat pattern to make it.
1. If you don’t have the sheet metal tab open right click in the area where the #1 arrow points, then click Sheet Metal.
2. click Convert to Sheet Metal
3. pick the a face that will be fixed plane of the flattened sheet
4. enter the material thickness you want
5. enter a default inside radius for the bends. Later you can change each individual bend radius to what ever you want.
Now, Chose the Bend Edges.
1. These will be the bend locations, the part must end up as one piece of metal so work your way from the fixed face out.
2 SolidWorks will pick the rip edges for you by process of elimination.
3 When all edges have been added to the two groups hit the green check.
Here is your sheet metal box. Notice the three features added; Sheet-Metal, Convert and Flat Pattern (suppressed).
To flatten the part either unsuppress the Flat Pattern feature or click Flatten.
If you right click on the Sheet-Metal feature you will find K-Factor. Here you can change it to adjust it so your flat pattern matches you real world part. For more information on K-factor see
Here is the finished file version for your reference.
Solid to Sheet metal box
Please click "It Worked" if you like it.