Tranform a Scan (STL) into a Surface
How can we reuse the data from a STL file?
With the Automatic Surface feature (Digitized Shape to Surface application) you can easily transform a 3D Scan into a clean surface.
The Reverse Engineering role contains also all the features needed to work with cloud points and scan, such as healing, tesselation, smoothing, surface network and many more...
Step 1: Video
Step 2: Importing Data
* Watch the video for better understanding *
In order to import a STL or Scan file in the 3DExperience, you need to launch either 3D Printing applications or Digitized Shape applications.
Then click on "+" icon on top-right screen corner
Select the small arrow ">" next to import
and click on Digitized File
You can now import STL, ASCII or other scan format files
Step 3: Analyzing the data
* in the video case, the file is a model that comes from a CFD Analysis. The model is representing waves generated by a boat in motion *
Go to Digitized Shape Preparation application
Use the feature Mesh Preparation feature
-> this will give you information on the mesh (boundaries, number of triangles, etc.)
* The mesh in the video contains 600,000 triangles *
* If a scan contains a lot of triangles, it can takes time for your machine to work on the model but the result obtained will be more accurate *
You can also run a quick Curvature Mapping Analysis on the scan to see where are the sensitive area to convert into a surface.
Step 4: Triangles to Surface
Go to Digitized Shape to Surface application
Use the Automatic Surface feature on the mesh
- The mean surface deviation: If the value is low, then the surface will be sharp. In opposite the higher the value is the smoother the surface is. the software reach a limit if the value is too high, the result will be the same.
- The surface detail: The parameter influence the number of patches the surface will be composed. The surface is more accurate with a higher number of patch, but it will take more time to compute.
Step 5: Compare mesh and Surface
Click on the Deviation Analysis Feature
Compare your mesh and the automatic surface feature
-> this will give you the maximum deviation between the scan and the surface you made
Step 6: Verify the result with light (optional)
Go to Live Rendering or Rendering Scene application.
Apply a mirror material to the surface.
Edit the rendering ambiance and change it by an outdoor environment (sky, grass, etc.9
* You should see how the light reflects on the shape *
-> if surface is too sharp, edit the automatic surface properties (step 3)
- End of tutorial