Sustainable Minds and IDSA invite you to reimagine the toaster to differentiate and position an existing kitchen appliance manufacturer, or a new company that you imagine, as a leader in high-performance home appliances with environmental performance’ as a key component of the story.
To do this, we’re providing you with a proven process and tools to generate innovative design concepts and measure
the environmental performance of each to identify the best solutions. By participating in this challenge, you’ll learn
how to consistently integrate life cycle thinking and environmental performance improvement into your (and your company’s) design processes.
We are looking for you to:
1. Tell a great brand experience story.
2. Defined user persona(s) and scenario(s), key insights that inform the strategy
3. Demonstrate how using multiple ecodesign strategies in multiple product life cycle stages creates innovation ideas
(even if most apparent innovation is not your final selected solution). Material changes only are generally not
4. Show a 15% environmental performance improvement over the reference toaster.
• Effective use of ecodesign strategies
• Comprehensive Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) model
• Environmental performance improvement: 15%+ overall improvement
• Compelling story
1. Download the overview Sustainable Minds Getting Started: Using ecodesign + Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to drive product innovation.
3. Get your FREE IDSA subscription to Sustainable Minds Eco-concept + LCA Software: sustainableminds.com/get-started
• Scroll down to Education subscriptions and click the Student ‘Purchase now’ button (no purchase involved).
• In the ‘Referral code’ field enter: IDSA2020
• Free subscriptions for this challenge expire on June 15, 2020. You can purchase a monthly or annual subscription at that time with your 10% IDSA discount.
• Note: Sustainable Minds is phasing out Flash, but for the best user experience today, use Firefox and enable Flash.
4. Login to your account and download the example toaster project from the front page. To learn more about the software, watch the step-by-step how-to videos: sustainableminds.com/software. Also, visit the Learning Center in your account for more detailed content.
• If you’re looking for specific life cycle inputs not currently in the tool, email email@example.com. If that data is publicly available it can be added on request.
1. Build the reference toaster in Sustainable Minds. Identify what’s causing the greatest impacts in each life cycle stage.The environmental performance of your new product concepts will be compared to the reference.
2. Brainstorm, research, sketch, and develop at least 3 new concepts.
3.Model all your concepts in Sustainable Minds. Identify if your new ideas are actually contributing to performance improvements or not. Select one concept as the final and develop your presentation. Reminder, we are looking for at least 15% overall performance improvement.
4. Create your submission presentation using the PowerPoint deck template provided. Feel free to include as much content on each slide as you like to tell your story. Have fun, get us excited about your process and innovative ideas. Submissions that do not use this template will not be considered.
5. Upload your presentation as a PowerPoint file along with any 3D and rendered image files of your concepts. Video links to support your presentation are also welcome.
ENTERING THE COMPETITION:
Judging process – How winners were selected
All the jurors were enormously impressed by the hard work put in by all the entrants. The overall quality of the submissions was extremely high – which says a lot about this community. Congratulations to the winners and special mentions!
Four rounds of review
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
AWARDING THE WINNERS
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Software Subscriptions, a 3D printer, and more!
Two (2) one-year subscriptions to Sustainable Minds Eco-concept & Life Cycle Assessment Software; One (1) Prusa i3 MK3S 3D Printer provided by AutoDesk: should be Autodesk; One (1) one-year membership to Material ConneXion; One (1) registration to IDSA’s International Design Conference 2020
Two (2) one-year subscriptions to Sustainable Minds Eco-concept & Life Cycle
Assessment Software; One (1) registration to IDSA’s International Design
One (1) one-year subscription to Sustainable Minds Eco-concept & Life Cycle Assessment Software; One (1) registration to IDSA’s International Design Conference 2020
With its roots reaching back to 1938 and founded in 1965, the Industrial Designers Society of
America (IDSA) is the world’s oldest, largest, member-driven society for industrial design. IDSA
represents professionals in product design, interaction design, human factors, ergonomics, design
research, design management, universal design and related design fields.
Sustainability Deep Dive 2020
The Sustainability Deep Dive 2020 is a virtual event spanning three days. It will feature a
comprehensive mix of expert presentations and skill-building sessions meant to produce a
wellspring of innovative ideas and possibilities that are desperately needed to bring about change.
Decades of global human activity and the expanding greenhouse effect have created a situation that
needs to be addressed with more urgency than ever. We think design can help. Action must be
taken today if we have any hope of creating paths forward to a sustainable future.
As the developers of products and services used by billions of people around the world, industrial
designers hold a crucial position: one that demands we look for ways in which our work can ignite
social, cultural, and institutional change. By leveraging our resources, processes, and voice as
designers, we can establish new ways of thinking and methodologies in our studios, companies, and
corporate settings that, in turn, can help to ensure the ongoing health of our planet and its precious
For more details and to register visit: https://www.idsa.org/SDD2020
Founded in 2007, Sustainable Minds® is a cloud software and services company whose mission is to
‘operationalize environmental performance in product development & manufacturing to drive
revenue and growth through greener product innovation.’
Sustainable Minds is now the #1 cloud life cycle assessment (LCA) software for greener product
innovation used by industry and education in 600 locations in 90 countries worldwide. Sustainable
Minds’ easy-to-use, standardized solution makes it possible for manufacturers across the value
chain – large and small – to dynamically evaluate, compare and improve their products’
environmental performance by integrating life cycle thinking and LCA into their product
development processes. The company has been recognized by Gartner® in its 2013 Cool Vendor Report as ‘innovative, impactful and intriguing.’
Additional Prizes kindly provided by the support of Autodesk Sustainability and Material Connexion