Tutorial on how to model a rope.
This is the part that will be modeled now. Rope 6X12/6/1 configuration.
1. Open a new part and select front plane to sketch. Sketch the profile from the origin as shown.
I have renamed the sketch as "Main profile" for my convinience.
2. Next, select right plane and sketch a line from the origin. This is the "Main path".
3. Now use the SWEEP feature to sweep the core.
Select the sketch1 (main profile) as the profile and sketch2 (main path) as the path.
4. In property manager, select TWIST ALONG PATH defined by DEGREES and spcify 1080degrees (or 3turns). Accept.
5. The part would look like this.
7. Select front plane to sketch. Sketch the profile as shown. Remember the "Main profile" sketch? Coincide its centre on the
Dia 60.01mm circle. (I call this as Strand profile) I have hidden this sketch for time being.
8. Next, Draw a circle of Dia 60.01mm on the front plane starting from the origin. We'll use it to generate a
9. Select Helix and Spiral from the curves dropdown in features tab. Select the dia 60.01mm circle you drawn. Spiral is defined
by Height and Revolution. Height = 900mm and revolution = 1.5. STARTING ANGLE is 180 deg.
10. Use sweep feature to make the strand. select the sketch3 (strand profile) as profile and the helix as the path.
Use Twist along path defined by 1080deg (or 3turns).
11. The part looks like this.
12. Create an axis at the intersection of Right and Top planes.
13. Select Circular pattern from feature tab. Use the axis you created to pattern around.
Under bodies to pattern, select all the solid bodies from the "SWEEP2" feature. No. of instances=6 with equal spacing.
14. This is the finished part.
Now you may render it with you favorite rendering software.
you can download the model from here.