This Challenge invites you to design a mechanical drawer solution for a self-service parcel terminal.
Short video showing current solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqNaRAqOWM
Drawbacks of the current solution:
1) It allows oversized or expanding packages, that initially fit in the drawer, to be inserted.
2) Upon inserting an oversized package, the drawer does not open or does not open enough to fetch the parcel.
3) Upon inserting an oversized package, the adjacent drawers (above/below) get stuck and they do not open either.
Your solution must also meet the following requirements:
- The structure of the drawer must allow simple and fast production from widespread materials (e.g. sheet metal, plastic etc). It must allow simple assembly, installation and replacement of the drawers.
- With a usage frequency of 2-3 times per day, it must be possible to give the drawer solution an 8-year guarantee, and an average lifetime of 10 years.
- The weight of the drawer solution should not exceed 5 kg per slot.
- All parts of the drawer and its system must be replaceable from the front without moving the terminal.
- Any oversized parcel that is inserted into the drawer must not stop the adjacent (above/below) drawers from opening.
- The drawer must be able to open to its maximum and cannot sag due to the weight of the inserted parcel (up to 5kg).
- There must be no protruding parts or sharp corners inside the drawer that would cause the parcel to get stuck while opening the drawer.
- The drawer must not open by a handle or latch.
- The amount of power needed to be applied to close the drawer must be as little as possible so that different users can push it closed (children, the elderly, etc.).
- The drawer should close smoothly and quietly.
- Third persons must not be able to remove the drawer from the terminal, nor gain access to the adjacent (above/below) drawers or the items held in them.
- The locking system of the drawer solution must be electronic with the electrical characteristics of 24VDC and maximum 1A. The length of the signal should be 200-300 ms. Molex Micro Fit 3.0 series connector must be used for connecting the lock.
- Added Jan 16: A new lock or locking system must include electrical feedback switch from slot or/and lock position.
DEADLINE OF THIS CHALLENGE EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 16, 2015.
Your entry must include:
- STEP or IGES version
- Rendering of your design
Winning designs will:
1. Allow the drawer to open at least 30 mm, even if an oversized/expanding package is inserted.
2. Maximize the size of package that can be inserted without jamming the drawer.
3. Guarantee the safety of the contents of the drawer(s).
4. Minimize the cost of the drawer solution in quantities of 1/100/1000 pcs.
5. Allow easy and fast production and assembly.
6. Make use of widespread materials.
7. Prevent the drawer from damaging itself in the case of misuse.
8. Have a drawer load bearing capacity of at least 5kg (∽11 lb).
ENTERING THE COMPETITION
The Challenge is open to everyone except employees and families of GrabCAD and the Sponsor. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome.
By entering the Challenge you:
1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions.
2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury).
3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate.
4. Warrant that the submission is your original work.
5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs.
9. Agree the Sponsor and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible.
We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries.
Entries are automatically given the tag "cleveron" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person. Prizes may not be transferred or exchanged.
All winners will be contacted by the GrabCAD staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. Payment of cash awards is made through PayPal. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge.
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
EXTENDED 1 WEEK! This Challenge ends on February 16, 2015 (23:59pm UTC).
Winners will be announced by March 16, 2015.
Void where prohibited.
$7,500 total prize pool
The mission of Cleveron is to make sending and reception of parcels as fast, convenient and cost effective as possible by offering the modern technology based solutions.