We challenge you to design a new docking station that can hold and charge both the new Apple Watch™ and the current iPhone® 5, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus (*).
The goal is to make not just another dock like the many that are out there, but an exclusive accessory that fits Carus' brand aspiration. Besides its functionality as a docking device, it must maintain a representative appearance even when no phone or watch is docked in.
The dock should be a nice place to rest and charge the watch, and should also have an iPhone dock with a lightning plug. Since the Apple Watch will usually get charged at night, the docking station would most likely be used as a bedside device. This is, however, not a general criteria. Rather, the dock should work in multiple home environments. Nice to have would be spin-off products resembling stand-alone watch docks or iPhone docks.
Thinking of likely environments, we ask you to be creative and think of additional side features it could contain. Maybe it could include a nice bedside lamp, for example.
What other cool features can you think of? The material used should be aluminum. Raw materials can either be extrusion profiles or solid aluminum. Feel free to combine it with printed glass. Carus’ technological expertise lies in aluminum machining, laser engraving, electronic development as well as software development.
If a final product based on a winning design is entered into any design award competitions, the winner will be listed as designer.
(*) iPhone and Apple Watch are trademarks of Apple Inc.
You must include:
- STEP or IGES version.
- Description supporting your design.
You are encouraged to include:
- Native SolidWorks version.
- Great renderings are a plus!
- The watch charging part of the dock must include Apple's standard watch charger.
- If your design finds the room, you are encouraged to include additional USB sockets.
The winning design will:
- Match Carus design
- Be unique
- Be sleek and simple
- Be marketable
- Be manufacturable with our current technology
Additional guidelines (added April 30):
- Please DO NOT include Apple logo in your design.
- Carus logo file is for downloading below.
ENTERING THE COMPETITION
The Challenge is open to everyone except employees and families of GrabCAD and the Sponsor. Multiple entries are welcome. Team entries are welcome.
By entering the Challenge you:
1. Accept the official GrabCAD Challenges Terms & Conditions.
2. Agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges (Jury).
3. Warrant that you are eligible to participate.
4. Warrant that the submission is your original work.
5. Warrant, to the best of your knowledge, your work is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited.
6. Warrant neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
7. Warrant participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
8. Are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs.
9. Agree the Sponsor and GrabCAD have the right to promote all entries.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Only public entries are eligible.
We encourage teams to use GrabCAD Workbench for developing their entries.
Entries are automatically given the tag "carusdock" when uploading to GrabCAD. Please do not edit or delete this tag. Only entries with valid tag will participate in the Challenge.
AWARDING THE WINNERS
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person.
All judging decisions are final.
All winners will be contacted by the GrabCAD staff to get their contact information and any other information needed to get the prize to them. Payment of cash awards is made through PayPal. All team awards will be transferred to the member who entered the Challenge.
We will release the finalists before the announcement of the winners to give the Community an opportunity to share their favorites in the comments, discuss concerns, and allow time for any testing or analysis by the Jury. The Jury will take the feedback into consideration when picking the winners.
Winning designs will be chosen based on the Rules and Requirements.
- Entry deadline is May 25, 2015 (11:59pm UTC).
- Winners will be announced by June 29, 2015.
Void where prohibited.
Cash awards for TOP 6 places.
Carus is a brand of TCS TürControlSysteme AG. We are German company based in Black Forest area. With our team we develop and build exclusive versions of door-communication devices. We are devoted to produce products of premium workmanship with timeless design.
For more information, visit the company's website