3D Technology challenges you to design a Donkey Calf Raise Attachment for a Smith machine.
The specifications, requirements and technical details will be updated by January 27 based on your questions and feedback. This gives enough time for everyone to ask questions, talk with 3D Technology, and make sure GrabCADrs know what to work on and what 3D Technology expects of the winning entries.
You must include:
- STEP of IGES file.
- 3D and 2D CAD file.
- Brief design notes explaining the rationale behind the design.
- Description of design materials and dimensions.
- FEA stress results to verify design can handle up to 1500 pounds of compressive force (updated on Feb 3).
- The basic model should be light in weight but strong enough to support up to 1,500 pounds.
- The design should have a locking mechanism or quick release clamp that will allow the device to lock onto a smith machine Olympic barbell (25mm to 28mm).
- The locking mechanism or quick release clamp should have rubber padding that fits around a Smith Machine Olympic Barbell handle so as not to damage the barbell.
- The locking mechanism or quick release clamp apparatus should be able to withstand 1,500 pounds.
- The locking mechanism or quick release clamp should be able to attach and unlock from the smith machine barbell in a quick manner without any tools.
- The lower back padding should be designed to fit comfortably on the lower back even if an excessive amount of weight is used.
- The new design should be modern, ergonomic, durable, appealing to the eye, comfortable.
Additional requirements (added Feb 3)
- Material can be anything that the designer sees fit to use.
- Some form of padding should be used on the attachment clamp so as not to damage the barbell.
- Design dimensions will be left up to the designer.
- Max manufacturing cost: $300
The competition is open to everyone. Multiple entries are acceptable. Team entries are welcome - prize will be transferred to team leader. Participants may only win one prize per Challenge.
Tag your entry with “DONKEYCALFRAISE” when uploading to GrabCAD. If you submit through the "Submit entry" button, this should be added automatically. Only entries with valid tag will participate. Only entries uploaded to GrabCAD through the "Submit entry" button on this Challenge page will be considered an entry. Private entries are not eligible.
By entering this competition, you 1. Warrant that the work is your original work. 2. To the best of your knowledge, it is not, and has not been in production or otherwise previously published or exhibited. 3. Neither the work nor its use infringes the intellectual property rights (whether a patent, utility model, functional design right, aesthetic design right, trade mark, copyright or any other intellectual property right) of any other person.
If you think an entry may infringe on existing copyrighted materials, please email email@example.com.
Applicants are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement for any costs. The applicant’s participation shall not constitute employment, assignment or offer of employment or assignment.
The sum of the Awards is the total gross amount of the reward. The awarded participant is solely liable for the payment of all taxes, duties and other similar measures if imposed on the reward pursuant to the legislation of the country of his/her residence, domicile, citizenship, workplace, or any other criterion of similar nature. Only 1 award per person.
Only public entries will be considered. Any private submissions will be made public at the Challenge deadline.
We will release the finalists before the final announcement to give the Community an opportunity to "vote" for their favorites in the comments. The jury will take these into consideration when picking the final winner. This new addition is based on feedback from you!
Winning designs will be chosen based on the rules and requirements. This Challenge ends on February 19, 2014 (11:59pm UTC). Winners will be announced by March 19, 2014.
Void where prohibited.
Awards for TOP 3 places
$1,000 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
$500 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
$250 cash + GrabCAD scrapbook
The sponsor may offer the winner an opportunity to continue working on contract basis.
The jury is comprised of experts from 3D Technology and GrabCAD.
3D Technology, located in Houston, Texas is a Drafting company that provides complete 3D Modeling and detail-drafting services. Our goal is to provide our customers with professional, detailed, high quality 3D models, Computer Aided Design (CAD) drawings and other CAD drafting services.